What do consumers think about summer beauty, sunscreen/SPF and self-tanning? Recently, beauty-industry data company Poshly told Beauty Store Business:
- 55% of beauty lovers say their hair naturally lightens during the summer.
- As the temperature rises, so does fragrance use for 14% of beauty lovers, who say that they use more during the summer compared to the other seasons. Twenty-eight percent say they use less fragrance in the summer than the colder months.
- Only 27% of women say they wear sunscreen every day, 30% say they try to apply it daily but forget, which is matched by the percentage of women who indicate that they only wear it seasonally.
- The Top 3 most-important qualities women factor in sunscreen are SPF level (39%), how oily or heavy it is (27%) and whether it aggravates their skin (20%).
- 57% prefer lotion, 32% spray, 3% stick, 2% gel, 6% other.
- 40% of women shop for sunscreen only around the summertime (43% year-round).
- 57% of beauty consumers think that the SPF in their makeup is sufficient for sun protection.
- Drugstores are the retail channel of choice for sunscreen at 74%, with beauty retailers (such as Sephora) and department stores evenly matched at 10%.
- One in every four women looks for all-natural or organic formulas when selecting a self-tanner.
- 65% of women say they don’t use self-tanning products—but 12% of women who don’t, want to start.
[Image courtesy of Poshly]