Beauty store owners and managers, note: Millennial women are loyal to their favorite makeup brands. Sixty-eight percent say that even in a tough economy they'd opt for their preferred brands rather than less expensive products.
That's according to a survey of 500 U.S. women ages 18 to 34 who purchase makeup conducted earlier this month by market-research company Lab42.
"Makeup is often part of a woman's daily routine, and we wanted to investigate trends specifically surrounding how Millennials wear and purchase their products,” says Gauri Sharma, Lab42 CEO. "It is especially relevant for brand managers and marketing teams to note that 58% of female Millennials purchase different makeup products for the summer and the winter seasons."
Other survey highlights include:
- Free samples–not promotions nor discounts—are the No. 1 way to influence these women to try a new makeup brand.
- Forty-two percent follow beauty brands on social media. Nearly half of them have received a discount as a result of following a brand.
- Seventy-two percent have received a free gift with a previous makeup purchase. Of those, 54% have postponed a makeup purchase to receive a free gift at a later date.
- Which makeup product would they wear every day if they could only choose one? Mascara is No 1. Foundation is a close No. 2.
- Eighty-one percent state it’s important to have SPF in their foundation; 86% report that SPF is a must-have in their moisturizer.
- Ninety-five percent use makeup to enhance their features; 94% indicate that makeup makes them feel more confident.
- Three out of four don’t mind spending money on makeup because it helps them feel good; 84% use it to hide their flaws; 36% relate that wearing makeup feels like an obligation.
Check out this Lab42 blog post and its full infographic about the survey by clicking here.
[Partial infographic courtesy of Lab42]