Beauty Store Business magazine - January, 2020

Get ’Em Under Control, p.6

Assistance for Workers’ Comp Issues

How do you report workplace injuries and file claims? How do you decide what doctors the injured workers may see? What are the requirements for notifying workers of their rights and responsibilities? What size employer is exempt from x-mod calculations?

The answers will vary by state. You can obtain information about your own state’s laws from the Internet. Go to the website for the United States Department of Labor at Under “Browse by Topic” click on “Workers’ Compensation.” Then click on “State Workers’ Compensation Boards.” Finally, click on the link for your state.

Additionally, the Insurance Information Institute has posted helpful articles at Click on “Workers’ Compensation” under Business Topics at the bottom of the page.

Phillip M. Perry is a New York City-based freelance writer.