For National Color Day (Oct. 22) eSalon—the custom, at-home haircolor and care brand—surveyed 2,500 of its customers about hair color, including graying, celebrity looks and hair color in stores. Its findings include:
- Half of all women said they went gray younger than they thought they would, and more than 25% of women noticed their first gray hair in their 20s. On average, women noticed their first gray hair at age 33.
- Fifty-three percent of women began coloring their hair when it was 0%-15% gray, immediately covering it up. On average, women started coloring their hair when they were 30-years-old.
- There's no secret about going gray, with 82% of women saying that their "significant other" knows they have gray hair and 89% saying close friends and family know that they have gray hair.
- Forty-six percent of women color their hair to cover their grays every four to five weeks (just over once per month).
- Fifty-two percent of women color their gray hair to look younger.
- A whopping 90% of women have colored their hair to look like a celebrity.
- Seventy-three percent of women have colored their hair because of a current trend.
- Sixty-four percent of women haven’t been able to find the at-home box-dye brand or shade in-store that they usually use. Of those, nearly 80% settled for a different brand/shade that "looked close to what they were looking for." Thirteen percent simply gave up and didn’t color their hair!
- Twenty-three percent of women stated that they've tried more than four different at-home box-dye brands in the past five years.
[Image courtesy of eSalon]