All U.S. Sally Beauty Supply stores should have Nail Studios with more than 750 shades of nail polishes near their entrances by January 2015, a top Sally Beauty Holdings executive said Nov. 13 in a conference call with analysts discussing the company's fiscal 2014 fourth-quarter and fiscal 2014 financial results released the same day.
The Nail Studios will be installed in 1,500 U.S. Sally Beauty Supply stores by the end of November, added Christian A. Brickman, who was appointed president and COO this past June and is expected to transition to Sally Beauty Holdings CEO by April 2015.
"We will be marketing the Nail Studio to Sally customers in [the second quarter of our] fiscal 2015 once all the stores are fully set," stated Brickman. "Based on the early feedback we have received, we’re already working on additional in-store studios—including a haircolor studio in order to further differentiate our stores going forward."
In a follow-up to the news, Sally Beauty Supply officials have since told Beauty Store Business that the new 12-foot Nail Studio wall will be marketed before February 2015 as "the single best way to shop for nail color." Also, SBS officials released an image of the Nail Studio (pictured). Other details they told BSB:
- No other beauty supply has as extensive an assortment of colors and brands showcased side by side to facilitate easy nail color and texture comparisons.
- More than 750 shades of nail polish, 150 kinds of nail art and more than 70 treatments for nails, hands and feet will be featured.
- The nail-polish section will house 12 feet of polish and allow room for expansion within each brand.
- An additional dedicated 2-foot section will showcase seasonal and on-trend nail and cosmetic collections.
- Clear acrylic display trays will house nail-polish assortments from:
- China Glaze
- Nina Ultra Pro
- Pre-painted nail tips on each tray will show customers how each polish will actually look on their nails.
- An interactive digital display with touch-screen capabilities will provide customers with up-to-date information and step-by-step DIY applications for each brand.
- Twelve feet of overhead LED lighting will dramatically highlight the assortment of nail polishes that SBS has to offer.
- Two rows of shelving below the polish will showcase all of the store's gel-polish lamps as well as some top-selling nail treatments—making it easy for customers to shop.
Additionally, in the conference call with analysts Nov. 13, Brickman reported that SBS's "Store Refresh Test Initiative was recently completed with 139 U.S. Sally stores in three regions." The "refresh" includes hardwood floors, LED lighting and updated signage at a cost of about $20,000 per store, according to Brickman. "We will decide how broadly and quickly we want to move forward with additional stores" after evaluating the results, shared Brickman.
He also announced: "TIGI [Professional], the maker of Bed Head and Catwalk, has awarded exclusivity to our BSG [Beauty Systems Group] stores and provided additional territory to our sales-consulting business effective prior to January 2015."
[Originally posted: Nov. 13]
[Updated: Nov. 15]
[Earnings call transcript by Seeking Alpha used]
[Image courtesy of Sally Beauty Supply]